United Rentals offers multiple sizes of excavators for rent, ranging from 21 tons to 24.95 tons, and attachments for multipurpose applications. Excavators — also called track hoes — are one of the largest pieces of equipment used in construction. Excavators can do heavy-duty clearing, loading, digging and trenching. This large excavation equipment is ideal for your commercial construction site or landscaping job. With 360-degree swing rotation, our durable track hoe rentals are ideal for muddy terrain and can handle your site’s needs efficiently. If you’re looking for excavator rentals or other construction equipment for excavating, we have just the tool to fit your needs.
FAQs About Excavators
Is an excavator the same as a digger?
- Backhoes — also known as diggers — and excavators (specifically mini excavators) look similar and they can do similar jobs, but they are different in important ways. Typical excavators are much bigger, but mini excavators can do a lot of things backhoes can do. They both have articulating booms, dippers, and buckets and are used for trench work, construction work, and more. Excavators don't have wheels; they run on tracks (that is why they are known as track hoes), and they have very good traction for slick, muddy sites. Excavators have 360-degree swing rotation, but backhoes only have 180- to 200-degree swing rotation.
What size excavator should I use?
- The best size of excavator for you depends on the size of your site and the kind of work you are doing. Consider whether a heavy machine like an excavator can move around easily within the site and whether a 25-ton machine might damage the site. United Rentals offers clearing rake attachments for our excavators so you can clear roots, brush and more across your site. We offer hammer attachments for breaking through tough asphalt or cement and other attachments. Our excavators are used primarily on construction sites or large landscaping sites where they are unlikely to damage surrounding structures. If you have a smaller site, see our mini excavator section.
What are the types of excavation?
- There are many types of jobs excavators are used for, including:
- Trench excavation
- Cutting and filling embankments
- Basement excavation
- Excavation of various materials including rock, silt, topsoil and muck